Monday, January 16, 2012

[Books] This is Korea: All you ever wanted to know about Korea

 

this is korea

Written by CHOI Jung-hwa and LIM Hyang-ok (2011)

Another recently published book, this is more of a travel-guide book. Although it covers roughly the same grounds as CultureShock! Korea (read my review here), this book is not nearly as detailed. This book introduces the things that Korea is famous for, and by introducing I really mean a short paragraph or two about the subject. Hence, if you are looking for details, this is not really your book. However, they do cover a broad range of topics from korean food to korean art so if all you are looking for is something easy to digest and brief, this is the book for you.

One feature I liked about this book was the fact that they used hangeul in the book. All chapters in the book had titles in korean as well, and this was useful for learning vocabulary. While covering the korean zodiac (which is same as the chinese zodiac), every animal had an idiom related to it in the book. (I will write another post on these idioms when I get my korean keyboard stickers, so lets keep it at this for now.)

I finished this book in 2 hours so you can tell how short is is – good read for a boring flight. Not nearly as detailed as I’d like it to be, so if you want to know more, you may want to stock up on other books that provide more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment